Apr 20, 2011

The Ultimate GREEN House...


In honor of Earth Day right around the corner I would like to share a little freebie project that you ALL can get in on. Although recycling is awesome (and you all should be commended for your efforts to do so)...how 'bout re-purposing something that some of us come across everyday...


You know what these babies are? That's right - you are soooo busted... Most of us are guilty of buying the pretty pre-washed salad mixes in these lovely plastic containers. I must say that even E and I are guilty of indulging in our fair share of Spring Mix and Baby Spinach delights...there is only so much we can do in terms of growing our own food. Winter in Chicago is not exactly a great time to be digging around in the garden...

I recently planted our seedlings for the this summer and they are well on their way to "hatching". I shared this pic a few days back but since then the green beans have grown at least an inch or two...I am beginning to wonder if I have Jack's bean stalk!


While wondering what to do with my string beans that are popping to high heaven and trying to escape my seedling farm, I came up with a brilliant idea to corral those puppies back into shape. I decided to break out a few extra salad containers (yes, I save them!) and make a new farm...one for the tall and mighty!! This GREEN Greenhouse is sure to delight even the tallest of seedlings!!







Ahhhh...that's better! Don't they look happy in their new home?? Now these plants can have room to grow and in about 4 weeks this box will be ready to be re-purposed to something else...you'll have to tune in tomorrow to find out what it will be!!

Now, one more thing, if you decide to use these as your own little greenhouse do your plants a favor and keep this in a sunny window AND make sure to pop a little hole or 2 in the plastic. You want to make sure your plants have a air moving through or in no time you will have mold...I learned that last year the hard way. :(



And that's my GREEN tip of the day. You don't need to recycle if you can find a way to re-purpose!! Don't forget to tune in tomorrow to see what else these containers have in store for them...get it? They store things and there is something in store for them...I amuse myself pretty easily this late in the day!!

Have any GREEN tips to share? Be sure to leave a comment or even a link to show us what you're working on!!


Bianca Recycle Salad containers, Re-purpose Salad containers, greenhouse, diy greenhouse

Linking up to the following: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, It's So Very Cheri, Thrifty Decor Chick, Keeping it Simple, Today"s Creative Blog, Organize With Sandy, Blue Cricket Design, New Nostalgia, All Thingz Related, Hope Studios, The Thrifty Home, My Backyard Eden, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, At Home With K, Sugar Bee Crafts, Coastal Charm, Young Nester, Someday Crafts, Night Owl Crafting, Creations By Kara, Sew Much Ado, Eisy Morgan, Pink Postcard, A Little Tipsy, Beyond The Picket Fence, It's FUN to craft!, The DIY Show Off, The Shabby Chic Cottage, What Allie's Making Now, Stuff and Nonsense, At The Picket Fence, Tales from Bloggeritaville, Blue Creek Home, My Cottage Charm, 504 Main, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Tatertots and Jello, The Shabby Nest, French Country Cottage, Home Sweet Farm, Finding Fabulous, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Between Naps on the Porch, The Girl Creative, mad in crafts, C.R.A.F.T., Skip to my Lou, Making the World Cuter, Dittle Dattle, Support Blog for Moms of Boys, Christina's Adventures, Young Nester, Informal Home, The Frugal Girls
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...