May 5, 2011

Raspberry Bars TO DIE FOR!!



I was pretty much MIA this week because...I ...went back to work!!!! Though I have been a flight attendant for the past 10 years I have not flown a trip in about two years until this week. I felt it was time to get back on the horse and thankfully it worked out so perfectly that I was able to work with friends which, of course, made my entry back to the FA world oh so much better. Since I was happy to be back (and thankful to not be flying with strangers on my first trip back!) I wanted to make sure and bring a special treat for the gals...enter these kick ass Raspberry Bars!!


I mentioned them a few days back when revamping that old coffee table. I got the original recipe from my Foodie Friday party last week and was so pleased with the results I had to make another batch just to prove how easy they were... OK, really because we scarfed the first batch so fast that I ran out before I could pack some up for my trip!! The original recipe came from Betty at Baking and Cooking a Tale of Two Loves but in true me fashion I tweaked it just a bit. Here is the super simple way to make these...AND DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID BY ONLY MAKING A HALF BATCH!! You will be sorry and YOU WILL have to go back and make another one because these are sooo good and will not last long....

You will need:

  • 2 c. flour
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. butter
  • 1 Flax egg (1 TB ground flax mixed with 3 TB warm water) OR 1 lg. egg, beaten
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/4 C Raspberry Jam or whatever kind of jam you want...honestly I didn't measure but I made sure it was way more than originally suggested...we like a good jammy layer. I also heated the jam on the stove for a minute to make it easier to spread.
  • Half a bag of mini chocolate chips...obviously, you could use the regular ones but I think the minis are cute! :)
  • 1/2 c rolled oats
Cream the butter, sugar, and flour together. Add in the Vanilla, flax egg (or reg egg) and mix well. Once mixed reserve one cup of dough for the topping and press the rest into a 9x13 pan. I lined my pan with tinfoil to make it easy to clean and make it easy to remove the whole raspberry bar to cool and cut later. Once the dough is pressed into the pan add your layer of jam. Again, I made sure to warm mine a bit on the stove to make it easy to spread on the dough. Next take your reserved cup of the dough and stir in the oats and chocolate chips. With your hands, gently crumble the whole mixture on top of your jam layer. When you run out gently press down and pop that baby in the oven!! 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Just keep an eye on it and once it is brown on top your raspberry bars are done!! Once the pan cools a bit you can remove the bars by grabbing them by the tinfoil and lifting them out.

Here is the picture play by play...

Mix sugar, flour, vanilla, butter, and Flax egg or egg...


Line your pan with tinfoil...


Spread out your jam in a nice even layer...


Mix your 1 cup reserve with the oats and chocolate chips...resist the urge to eat raw dough...


Crumble the mixture on top...


Out they come...


Wait for the pan to cool then gently lift the tinfoil out with raspberry bars and all. Wait a bit longer to let it cool and set then peel back the layer of tinfoil to delight in your delicious treat...


Cut into bars and enjoy!!

Naturally, we could not wait for them to cool before digging in which resulted in burnt tongues due to that extra thick (um...and extra HOT!) layer of jam!! I am happy to say it did not scar us emotionally (though slightly physically) and we were back to it within 5 minutes...we tend to have a very short memory when it comes to food related injury...

So that's it! Simple, sweet, and barely any clean up...my kind of treat!! :) Make sure to join us tomorrow for Foodie Friday to link up your latest and Greatest.

Bianca Raspberry Bars, Chocolate Raspberry bars,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...