Apr 26, 2011

A Fiesta For Your Mouth...

I am in the process of working on some home improvement projects so I can satisfy your DIY cravings later...for now I leave you with this simple dip to pump up the volume on your next fiesta...Perhaps Cinco De Mayo??

If you have kids in the 4-14 range or if you yourself can remember being a slightly immature young one, you all know the little song I am about to sing for ya...

Beans Beans the magical fruit,
The more you eat the more you toot,
the more you toot the better you feel,
Beans Beans the magical fruit!

Charming, right? This is such a versatile fruit...oh, just go with it. And yes - it is magical and for those who don't eat it often it will indeed make you toot! But the thing they don't mention is how NUTRICIOUS and versatile beans are...well, maybe that is the magical part? Regardless, this dip is da bomb if I do say so myself. It is super simple to make, super healthy (but not in that horribly tasteless kind of way), and again - VERSATILE!!


Want some?? I know you do...first let me do a little lecturing and then we can begin...

You all know I am a bit of a health nut. I no longer eat meat, I do not eat eggs and milk (though I do love me some cheese!), and we eat a multitude of veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and nuts throughout the week. So please listen when I tell you...

DRIED BEANS are where its at!!

Most canned beans have added sodium, preservatives, and/or the cans are lined with chemicals such as BPA. Now I ain't a saint - I eat a fair amount of unhealthy crap too...but the best part of dried beans is that they are CHEAP!! The other nice thing is you can make a huge amount of beans ahead of time and freeze them for future use. This little tip has drastically cut down the amount of time I spend soaking then pressure cooking me ole' beans! Oh - and if you weren't sold on dried beans yet let me provide one other little nugget...there is no waste such as cans to recycle!! Most bulk items come in plastic bags (I guess you have to use something) which are easily reused or recycled. Removing my soap box now...

So - let's get cracking and whip up a batch...shall we??

1. Presoak your beans - you can do it overnight or for a few hours. Presoaking dry beans helps them cook faster and also releases gasses which will help for better digestion...Do I need to spell it out for ya??

2. Place soaked beans in the pressure cooker and cook until it starts to scream...then let it go for about 10 minutes. I don't really have a good timing structure down for this because everyones pressure cooker is different and ours happens to be on its last leg so it is super crazy...

If all this seems to much for you then just use your canned beans!! Use 2 cans and please, for the love of the Food Gods, RINSE THE BEANS VERY WELL!!!!

Here comes the easy part...

Throw 2 cups of cooked beans (or 2 cans...it doesn't much matter if you are off a bit) in the cusinart and let er rip...

Slowly add 1/4 cup water. If you want the consistency a little thicker add less - thinner add more. A lot of people will use olive oil instead of water but it is sooooo not necessary. Using water keeps the fat content down while making your bean dip a healthier alternative to store bought dips.

It's done! But that is too basic...let's spice things up a bit...

1 Tbsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper



Now you have yourself a little Mexican black bean dip with a kick! This dip is perfect on its own with some tortilla chips but check out the following if you want to kick it up a few more notches:
  • As a spread for sandwiches
  • To give a little oomph to a burrito
  • How 'bout layered on some nachos with chips, cheese, salsa, guac, olives...I could go on and on!
    • Add diced avocado to the mix and it becomes a whole other animal
    • Look a little plain? Sprinkle with some room temp salsa right on top...a fiesta for the stomach, I tell ya!
    • Ohhh - and the doozy of all doozies - Put a layer of cream cheese in a Pyrex, layer this on top, top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 till bubbly...HOLLA!!!
    This little dip doesn't last long in our fridge. We use it for just about anything! Also - when last minute company stops by, I always have leftover frozen beans that I can whip up to make something quick and easy.

    Looking forward to Cinco De Mayo - Who's bringing the Margaritas?

    Do you have any quickie recipes floating your boat this week?? Feel free to drop a comment and dont forget to link them up to Foodie Friday this week!!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...