Apr 18, 2011

Buffet BOOYAH!!!! Hello Butcher Block!!


Ya'll - I CANNOT BELIEVE MY LUCK!!!

I have been stalking As Is for the perfect butcher block top for our buffet...remember, my challenge is to buy the entire thing in AS - IS by May otherwise I have to buy the missing pieces :(. This weekend I popped in to Ikea and found this Numerar butcher block just sitting there waiting for me to snatch it up. And snatch I did...literally - there was another man eying it the moment I left to go get my cart!! Back off, Buddy - you DO NOT want to get between me and my As Is miracle!! Here we are 2.5 weeks in to my challenge and, thanks to this great find, I am almost completely done!!

This is how we left off last week with the buffet looking a little on the rough side (check out the entire post here)...


My new Numerar counter top weighs in at a hefty 97lbs and is 96 7/8 x 25 5/8 feet - Oh man, am I in heaven!! This puppy is waaaayyyy bigger than the one I was hoping for which will leave me a big 25x25 leftover scrap as well as a 11x73 scrap that will be perfect for cutting into shelves. Oh, wait - it gets better...do you know what the regular price of this butcher block lovely is?? $169...do you know what this lady got it for??? $30!!! YES - $30!!! This, by far, is the best deal I have gotten in As Is so please excuse my over use of exclamation points and yelling!!!

via

OK - I think I am calm now... I loaded it up (along with a little something I'll tell you about tomorrow) and drove it home. We had to wait all week to buy the right blade to cut this piece (apparently not many places sell a 5.5 inch fine tooth blade...argh) but it was all worth the wait as we learned our lesson on the office counter top - we need a fine toothed blade to avoid splintering. Once we had the blade I was pumped to get cutting...with a little assistance from E, of course. If you haven't heard by now... E is the slow and steady go to man for projects like this as I am way too fast and careless to go slow - check out his crafty work on my desk counter top here.

Once I made my marvelous markings (all on a piece of painters tape so I wouldn't get permanent marker on the wood), E went to town cut cut cutting away. FYI - since this was a new blade and we weren't quite sure how it would cut we did a test cut on the end of the counter piece to make sure it wouldn't splinter. If you have enough extra material to work with I HIGHLY suggest doing a test cut!!


I forgot to take the picture of the edge but I can assure you it was clean and perfectly cut!! :) Yeah!! As for the rest of that big ole' block, I marked off 3 different cuts for E to make which would leave us with the 3 pieces I spoke off earlier. With some careful arranging and rearranging of our saw horsies none of the blocks were able to fall to the ground and get damaged once they were cut lose...so so so important when you plan on using every piece!!




See how slow and diligent my masked man is?? I could NEVER have the patience to work this slow!! :) We were a few inches away to being just about done when...chug chug chug...the 3rd battery was drained and the project was put on hold till the new one recharged...


Once we were all charged up, the last piece was cut and our counter top was ready for a mock run...

ooooohhhhh....

aaaaahhhhh....



Not so bad!! I am not done with her yet...lots of sanding the raw edges and a few coats of sealant will do the trick, but for now she is sitting pretty in her new spot in our house. Our walls are a little wavy but that has nothing to do with the counter top so when we figure out a back splash (I am thinking used corks?) you won't be able to see the difference. Oh, and see the wine rack I started putting in and the nice white backing to it?? That was a project in itself but, don't worry, I will show all the steps in my process in the next post...which I am hoping will be the end post for this project! :)

For now - I am actively searching out the rest of the pieces I need to get my buffet finished. The biggest problem will be finding the doors so I am keeping my fingers crossed for my Lidingo doors...can you keep your fingers crossed too?? Pretty please!!

Thanks for stopping in...I am off to sand and buy some sealant for our new buffet. What did you guys do this weekend? Anyone working on a buffet like I am?? Feel free to leave a comment with a link to your latest and greatest!!

Bianca Numerar counter top, how to cut a numerar counter top, how to cut a counter top, using a circular saw, Ikea Lidingo doors, Ikea buffet,
Linking up to the following: Sumo's Sweet Stuff, It's So Very Cheri, Thrifty Decor Chick, Keeping it Simple, Today"s Creative Blog, Organize With Sandy, Blue Cricket Design, New Nostalgia, All Thingz Related, Hope Studios, The Thrifty Home, My Backyard Eden, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, At Home With K, Sugar Bee Crafts, Coastal Charm, Young Nester, Someday Crafts, Night Owl Crafting, Creations By Kara, Sew Much Ado, Eisy Morgan, Pink Postcard, A Little Tipsy, Beyond The Picket Fence, It's FUN to craft!, The DIY Show Off, The Shabby Chic Cottage, What Allie's Making Now, Stuff and Nonsense, At The Picket Fence, Tales from Bloggeritaville, Blue Creek Home, My Cottage Charm, 504 Main, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Tatertots and Jello, The Shabby Nest, French Country Cottage, Home Sweet Farm, Finding Fabulous, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Between Naps on the Porch, The Girl Creative, mad in crafts, C.R.A.F.T., Skip to my Lou, Making the World Cuter, Dittle Dattle, Support Blog for Moms of Boys!, Miss Mustard Seed
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...