Jan 11, 2011

Presto Change-o

Ok - Yesterday I talked about my newly painted white door as seen here.  The transformation would not be be complete had I not switched up the brass hardware by spray painting those suckers in oil rubbed bronze.  So here is your step by step (Ohhh Baby) directions to paint them like a Rock Star...or a New Kid...

Presto Change-o....ohhh...ahhh...

1.  First remove hardware and, if needed, number them so you know which doors they go to if you are doing multiple doors.  Like this:


2.  If your knobs are exceptionally greasy and gunked up or have paint build up on them feel free to boil them with a dash of liquid soap to get all the crud off.  If your hardware is old and painted be very careful of lead paint!  If yours are not cruddy skip to step 4.

3.  Once they are boiled pour everything into a strainer over the sink and let cool.  DO NOT touch these babies while they are hot as metal + boiling water = bad burn!!  Once they are cool you can go about your business in step 4.

4.  Start sanding!  I used 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to get in all the crevices.  By far this is the most tedious process - word to the wise - you only have to sand the side that will be exposed.  On this batch I couldn't remember which was which (because I didn't label!!) so I did the whole shebang...


5.  Once they are done being sanded, rise and  lay them out on a paper towel to dry.  Once they are dried you may notice a little touch of rust - just buff it off with your sandpaper and it will be gone in a flash!  The end product should look a little something like this:


6.  These babies are now prepped for priming.  I stuck everything in an empty box and on a tray and went outside to prime.  Since it is super cold out I then had to bring everything in to dry...not recommended but if you do then OPEN A WINDOW!!!  Rats...I  forgot to take a photo of the primed pieces!

7.  Once they are dry (about an hour) head back outside, looking like a lunatic to the neighbors, and spray with a thin coat of whatever color you have decided to go with.  I am using Rustoleums Oil Rubbed Bronze.  If that coat didn't do the trick then wait another hour and spray once again.  End product should resemble something like this:


8.  From this point you will want to give them a few days to fully cure.  Of course, I did not wait a few days nor did I wait a few hours.  I gave them a good 60 min and went about installing them on my still not yet dry door.  I can't help myself!!!  Here is the finished product:

Lookin' good!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on the front door shown here...  Just a few more months to go before I can tackle that project!  Oh how I am wishing for sun instead of this...


 So what do you think?  Are you ready to spray paint some knobs and hinges??  What color are you into??

Due to weather issues I have had to put my sanding of the other doors on hold for today.  I thought I might look a wee bit too industrious to E if I moved my sanding operation outdoors during this snowfall in fear he might expect this project to be completed by tomorrow.  That is sooo not going to happen.  Today is a Me day - I'm off to read a wonderful book under the warmth of my cozy comforter!

Ta Ta, Darlings!

Bianca

Also - if you are interested in more projects like this then follow this link to the DIY Show Off blog parade...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...