Feb 24, 2011

Decisions Decisions and Hacks!

Well - so much for my big set forth and conquer statement at the end of yesterdays post...I am no further along in my office though I managed to sprout a few more ideas to confuse myself even further!

Because I am a Realtor, and a thrifty gal, I could not get over the idea of using my office for JUST an office.  I just can not wrap my head around the whole room (and a dedicated "bedroom" in our floor plan) would be wasted on an office.  I know, I know - I need a space to work!  I picture one side of me looking around with half a bottle of wine sloshing around in a goblet saying, "Be selfish - claim it as your own!"  The other side is wagging a finger and saying,"You know, this doesn't look good for resale value.  Bedrooms should look like bedrooms to potential buyers. What about when you have kids?  Where are you going to put them when they grow up?  What if you have two kids and one is a boy and one is a girl and they need to be separated for privacy reasons and what not...."  And the list of cons goes on.  I wish that relaxed, wine drinkin' lady would speak up and give me some more pros...she has since forgotten the office and moved on to the cheese plate...damn her and her lack of focus!  The other not so fun gal is still whispering not so sweet nothings about kids I don't have and selling a house we just moved into...WTF!

So here I am - at a crossroads.  Claim it as an office or try to do it all!  I came up with another mock concept today...you know it makes it easier for me to make decisions...or does it?





FYI - in case you haven't figured from the photos above - the bottom cabs are in place and the top cabs are resting on the bottom but would eventually be hung from ceiling height.  This layout works on a few levels - I can get the daybed in which would be lovely when my latest addition of BH&G arrives so I can lay back, relax, and flip through it nonchalantly during a work break...perhaps even with a goblet of wine! ;)  The office portion of my room would be a bit smaller and narrower but with almost as much storage as the L shaped design.  How much crap do I need to store anyway?

On the other hand - I really enjoyed the L shape due to being able to look out the window AND being able to see 2 computer screens at once.  I also like that it looks nice from the kitchen but, then again, so does the daybed...

I have looked at it every which way and then decided - why not have both?  My original reason for not doing the L plus the daybed was that the depth was too, well, deep.  How about I chop my daybed up and narrow it a bit.  Instead of being 41 inches I could make it 24in deep.  I realize that wouldn't be deep enough for normal human beings to sleep on but surely it is good enough for my BH&G nonchalant reading and daydreaming...  It would be like having a settee (which I also looked into but they are muey expenseevo...E's Spanish, again).  Or perhaps a chaise.  It wouldn't be a complete loss to mess with this West Elm daybed.  I got it on Craigslist for $125 due to the past owners crazy mutt using it as a chew toy...


Can you imagine?  How pissed would you be?!  Either way - a little lot of wood putty, sanding and a fresh coat of white paint and this baby will be back in prime condition soon.  Now - to chop or not to chop...that IS the question.  I have enlisted the neighbor men (both engineers) to see if I chop it up how I could reattach the shorter portions while still maintaining the overall strength.  Our round table meets tonight and you will be the first to know the outcome!

Until then - please feel free to leave a comment (just under the posts title) on what you would do!!  Do your best to dissuade me from taking saw to wood!  Or help out the wine drinkin' gal with some more pros to ditch the dual space idea all together and go with a straight up office space!  She needs all the help she can get...off the cheese and onto chocolates.  Aiy yai yai...virtual eye roll...

Bianca
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...